Recognized as the world’s leading independent, non-partisan source of information, analysis and policy advice on the prevention and resolution of deadly conflict, Crisis Group seeks a competent, experienced, resourceful and well-organised Senior Accountant to join its Finance team. Reporting to the Financial Controller, the Senior Accountant works closely and collaboratively with the Finance team, responsible for several aspects of financial management, accounting and reporting at Crisis Group. Responsibilities and duties may be subject to review from time to time. The chosen candidate will be based in Brussels.
Headquartered in Brussels, Crisis Group has around 120 staff members worldwide. Crisis Group’s expert analysts are based around the world conducting in-depth, on-the-ground research and advocacy from the Middle East and Asia to Latin America and Africa. Employment at Crisis Group provides challenging and intellectually stimulating interaction whether based in the field or in one of our advocacy offices. Learn more at www.crisisgroup.org.
- Review and process local offices cashbooks (bank transactions and petty cash movements);
- Prepare month-end entries (accruals, prepayments);
- Manage the accounts payable cycle (review and code invoices; prepare payment batches; reconcile payments; maintain suppliers’ accounts);
- Maintain cash guarantees and fixed asset schedules;
- Carry out balance sheet account reconciliations.
- Reporting & Analysis
- Assist with tax declarations (281.50, UK registration, foreign banks declaration) and other field reporting requirements;
- Assist with the preparation of financial and grant audits;
- Conduct assigned analytical reviews, special projects or other ad hoc tasks (may include the development of an internal donor reporting/project accounting system)
- Maintain the staff allocation register.
- Systems & Procedures
- Revisit the prepayment schedule;
- Review and maintain AP procedures.
Please apply before 20 September 2020
- At least 5 years experience as an accountant, with preference given to applicants with university-level accounting qualification; work experience in an international organisation is desirable;
- Proficiency in IT; excellent knowledge of MS Excel (use of Pivot tables and advanced functions); knowledge of Sun Systems or grant reporting systems is an asset;
- Self-motivation, initiative and enterprise, problem solving;
- Thorough, methodical approach and attention to details;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, able to articulate well and to the point;
- Organisational skills and ability to manage deadlines;
- Strong team player;
- Fluency in English with good oral and written communication skills is essential. French as a second language is an advantage;
- Authorisation to work in Belgium is required.